Thursday 3 July 2014

On a roll...

Hello crafters...
Am back again with yet another trash to treasure. This is literally trash because it was a real challenge for me to work on this!
 I had given standing instructions to the warehouse keeper of an export office (next to my house) to keep me in mind whenever he is discarding junk like boxes and empty duct tape rolls. The man after a quizzical look happily agreed to do away with store house junk and in the process I had accumulated loads of empty tape rolls. He was taking me seriously now and one day he gave me THIS!

The re cycler in me could not say NO and the crafter in me was a bit confused as to what to do. It was lying in my store room for months, until I took out yesterday and said I have to do something to this poor baby who would otherwise end up in the trash can!!!! This is such a long and sturdy structure and believe me a real hard nut to crack it was!!!
But, I was not giving up and this is how it came to life!

The transformation that took place was destined I guess, because I had my dearest friend is mind when I created this. Her birthday is on the 7th and I wanted to give her something unique and handmade of course! She is an amazing lady with a big heart  and has a lovely home to showcase handmade creations (well she dosent have a choice, bcos its from me!!!)....
 I had pretty much decided that I wanted a shabby chic, vintage look with some textures on it...One thing led to another and this is the final outcome...the pictures will tell you that. It was a little difficult to get the pics from all angles...hope you like it.

The blank roll all patched op with scraps of PP from all brands like DCWV, Recollections and Prima and have done faux sticthing on the patches. It was the lightly water washed with gesso and then created textures with honey comb stencil and crackle stencil from Prima.


I had a calender given to me which had some lovely vintage flowers on it which I tore and made it into post card which are heavily inked with vintage photo and walnut stain to give an aged look and adhered it to the patched up roll.

 made some vintage friendship tags which I mounted on canvas pieces with brads and then  stuck it on the roll. The rest of it was easy...I loaded it with hand made blooms and also stamped a lot of butterflies on it.

For the top,I took out some white vintage lace and tea dyed it and also inked the edges with vintage photo and then stuck it around the rim. The happy bday banner sits proudly on the top!


the tags all mounted with loads of gardenias, roses and and some delicate flowers made with punches.

I do have a another roll with me and if any of you have other ideas as to what can be done, pl shoot! I would like to do something different with it. Thank you so much for stopping by and I love to read what to you have to say and learn from it.
I think this will make a lovely deco piece and light up any corner of her house, what say????

Am linking this to...
http://lulupu.blogspot.in/2014/07/lulupu-challenge-34-bingo.html
(have used the middle row, stamping, ribbons and punches)
http://alteredeclectics.blogspot.in/2014/07/new-month-and-so-another-challenge.html
http://rheddscreativespirit.blogspot.in/2014/07/julys-challenge-guest-designer-call.html
http://decoratetocelebrate.blogspot.in/2014/06/challenge-78-fourth-of-july-or-birthday.html
Until then,
Happy crafting and re cycling.
Hugs.

11 comments:

  1. Wow.... What a transformation!! Love your way of decorating and giving the waste items a new look!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful creation - Thank you for sharing over at Altered Eclectics this month and hope to see you in future challenges

    Elaine aka Ellapu
    Handcrafted by Ellapu
    Owner of Altered Eclectics
    Owner at Eclectic Ellapu
    DT Crafty Ribbons

    ReplyDelete
  3. One again a fab example of trash to treasure :D !! I loved the patch work of various pps most on it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous and creative work , Rupa!!
    Thank you for playing along with us at Lulupu Bingo Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Altered creation... LOVE IT... I adore the patchwork & elements... your friend will treasure this I'm sure...Thank you so much for joining us at Altered Electics...Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! such a beautiful vase to add those lovely flowers!! Thank you for joining us over at Decorate to Celebrate.
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just beautiful! And such a fab idea! I can see something similar working for empty kitchen towel holders (though it wouldn't be as sturdy... this is perfect!). Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!!!!! Thanks so much for participating in our DECORATE TO CELEBRATE challenge!! Hope to see you again for our next challenge!!
    ~DEANNE~
    A Little Bit O' Paper

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous recycled vase, Rupa. So many beautiful details over here especially those flowers and background!

    Thank you so much for playing along Lulupu # 34 and Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully altered! Looks totally gorgeous!
    Thank you for joining us at Lulupu Bingo challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very creative and beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics July Challenge.

    ReplyDelete