Wednesday 16 July 2014

Then and Now...

Hello Crafters...
It's shinning and raining in Bangalore and absolutely the right feel to get your creative juices flowing!!!
Well, today's post is yet again a picture heavy post...which of mine is NOT!!!! Sit back and relax...
How does it feel to create your own home decor projects and that too space saving cos you are not buying something new but altering things lying around at home! Well for this there a re quiet a few of them!!!
I keep telling my husband," I haved saved you a fortune by not buying deco items" and in reality he has no clue how much I spend on craft supplies, LOL!!!
There again, the real satisfaction is playing with trash, and here it is the burlap panel! I made my own burlap panel for this project using an empty cereal carton box and an old gunny sack from the attic!!!

This otherwise untouched, rejected gunny sack got loads of attention and pampering from me....treated it to a good scrub and wash and later rinsed it in fabric softener...oh my! smells and feels great!
Well, you wondering, if it's worth all the trouble??? have a look...

I stuffed the carton with old newspaper for making it sturdy and then wrapped the burlap piece and adhered it with strong glue and also screwed in some jump rings on the top to make it hang! PRICELESS...literally!!!
Burlap panels are a rage now...I love the grungy texture and immediately can think of only vintage but amazingly it fits into a contemporary set up to..
This is what I did to it...
The panel was gessoed randomly and I played around with stencils from Prima(clocks), leaf stencil (local craft store) and home made texture paste in peach and green! The tissue wrap with mucic notes and butterflies too is home made and have scrunched it up in various places.


The top cluster of hand made blooms in shades of peach, all using the TH tattered florals and some die cut foliage too.





The bohemian gypsy in me had a feast!!! Loved making these beaded charms and hung them in different levels from the sides. You can actually play around with them by positioning it wherever you want!!! Hope you can see the vintage clock hanging from the rose!


 The floral cluster and the hand made floral spray at the corner and spilling to the edges of the panel. The lace flower is hand made too and has a generous inking and misting of spiced marmalade and wild honey!


 The thought behind this panel was to create a "then" and "now" of me...The "then" is me at 4yrs plus and the "now" is 42+!!! Just like the seasoned, old burlap...LOL!!!
The black lace at the bottom is gessoed with my finger just to give it a softer look. The TH clock and the hands pointing are chipboard pieces, heat embossed in white. The heart behind the little "me" too is a chipboard piece with scrunched up tissue wrap. The pocket watch is a die cut with TH visual artistry stamp( my fav embellishment for vintage projects). I have entwined a piece of black bakers twine to the jute rope(for hanging) to balance the black lace at the bottom.
Well, with that we come to the end of the "BEFORE" and "AFTER" of the old burlap and the "THEN" and "NOW" of me!!!
For this project, my husband got a good deal...not only on the deco piece but also,he got a gorgeous model to pose for FREE!!!!
What say???? Do let me know what you think about this project...am waiting, I had a blast making this for "me" with a lot of my favourites...re cycling, texture, colors, hand made blooms, charms, laces and mostly my current passion for mixed media and vintage style!!
Next time you see a gunny sack/bag, DON'T ignore it...there's a whole big canvas, waiting to be altered !!!!
Thank you all for your patience!!!
Am linking this to...
Until then,
Happy Crafting and re cycling.
Hugs.

22 comments:

  1. I am Awestruck !! Gunny sack..very common n your deco project UNIQUE ;) !! loved the theme of now n then and the lovely texture, flowers !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful creation! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do make me smile reading your posts Rupa...this one is a beauty..I love the soft colors, the black lace [ i thought it was a beaded trim!] and the clock die cut. Ha Ha yeah craft supplies are sooo expensive but then you cant buy such perfect made with love decor pieces from the shop can you!!
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia
    Cards Crafts Kids Projects

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yur recycling of this gunny sak is awesome!!! What a wonderul hanging!! Thanks you so much for sharing your talent with us at CCCB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most enjoyable post for me today.
    As always, you have transformed unexpected.. and it is outstanding!!
    Especially love the 3D effect for this frame and embellishments!
    Thank you for joining us at Lulupu challenge # 35

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous idea, Rupa! Nice to meet you in blogland. Your piece is amazing, so many details and layers, and with a beautiful story and creative process behind. So inspirational! Thank for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at burlap panel :) love the textures and the totally stunning transformation. Thank you for playing along with Lulupu

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second Dr Sonia Rupa, you make me smile whenever I read your posts :) Anything unique will definitely be there in your projects and I read all your posts, though I don't get to leave my comments often. Your pictures are so beautiful and laughed for the "model" line :). I'm sure you enjoyed the whole process :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make such beautiful things from your recycling ... this is adorable!! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful creation! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It so gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another beautiful post. I must sign up as a follower as had forgot your blog address to pay a visit and I do love your style Rupa.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fab project and great recycling/repurposing. Wonderful textures and amazing florals. Thank you so much for joining in with us at AVJ this fortnight
    Best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rupa.. I guess this is the first time I am checking out your blog... but I am surprised that how I missed yours... you are awesome... I have started making crafts this year but still I keep think how and what to make... but after looking at your blog... I feel like one can do anything with crafts.... thankyou for so much inspiration...

    http://funzycraftygifts.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow such a fantastic piece, absolutely love what you did here! Thanks so much for adding it to our current Country View Crafts Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really lovely. The flowers, the frames, the colors and in particular the lace trim hanging from the bottom (my favorite part). You are brave to complete such a piece, it is very personal--but such a wonderful idea. I am tempted to create a before and after myself and thank you for such an inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful piece of art Rupa! Love it!
    Thank You for joining us at Lulupu challenge#35-Go 3D

    ReplyDelete
  18. AWESOME!! Thank you so much for joining the fun at Lulupu go 3D challenge. Good luck.. :)

    ReplyDelete