Wednesday 11 March 2015

Remember the now...birthday wishes!

Hello crafters..
A big warm welcome to all my new followers and to those who are already with me!
I have a “special” project to share with you today, a box that I altered as a keep sake box for my husband! His birthday is in a few weeks and I thought I will give him something that he uses everyday.
I wanted a place where my husband could keep this daily stuff like the wallet, id, cards, pen, specs and all those little things that he gets back from the office every day and so I made this box. This will be a one stop place for his daily treasure, hopefully!
 
As I told you before, I am “doing up” the interiors of my house and so I made a box that will sit on his dresser. I wanted to subtly to remind my husband to keep things in their place. In these 20yrs I have failed miserably in this part but I always keep trying, lol!
I hope this box will make him want to keep his daily treasures here!
I have up cycled a card board box by altering its opening and the closure flap to fit my needs. I wanted it to withstand the daily wear and tear and so decided to make it look like a combination of wood and leather…both macho elements!
I knew that I could do it with all the Tim Holtz products and the techniques that I have learnt in my 2 years of crafting! Why fear when the master is here, lol!
For the lid, I gave a few layers of gesso and then colored with layers of distress stains (my new buy) Picket fence and broken china. I sanded in some areas and also dry brushed gesso in places for a white washed old look.
Then came some layered stenciling and stamps using TH cargo stencil and gothic. I  used the numbers from the stencil and his stamps to jumble up my husbands date of birth on the box! I also did some random script stamping.
For the outer sides, I adhered pages from an old atlas which just complimented the blue of the lid. I then swished out some homemade texture paste, added  some fine grain sand and some brown acrylic colors and went around all the sides of the box to create  random texture with a spatula.
As it dried I rubbed some perfect pearls in copper to get that slight metallic look. I inked the edges of the box with archival black and at this point I sealed the entire box with 2 coats of gloss medium. Now it is a solid box, unshakable!
Embellishments  for men is easy, NO FLOWERS! I hand wrote the famous quote from Tim and inserted it behind a chip board film strip. It was as if the focal quote was made with my husband in mind who is so absent minded! Just the one for him…thanks Tim.
The hinges from TH hardware findings were cut from grey board and gave a coat of picket fence distress crackle paint and rubbed in vintage photo stain in the cracks. The same for the film strip too.
From the film strip there is an interesting interactive feature dangling…a vintage clock charm, an altered resin key and lovely “timely thoughts” mini tags all held together in a metal chain and Ideology trinket pin.
The box has magnetic closures and for the flap, I made vintage white printed button using a die and dipped in UTEE and then strung a jute twine to make a bow. This conceals the magnet.
The keyhole is a TH die too and has the same yummy texture with the worn out metal look.
The box when opened has some interesting things too…
The open lid has an acetate pocket where he can keep the visiting cards. The TH vintage car stands proudly there and some tickets to make the man happy on his journey, lol! The masculine embellishments, you see! I love those little tickets clipped on the pocket!
The box in itself has plenty of room to keep a wallet, a spectacle case, pen and some papers too. I made a mini book using note book stamp from Whimsy…this is just so vintage and romantic! Some quick notes, hopefully he will “remember” to use it, lol!
The inside of the box is lined with atlas pages and faux leather paper using basket weave embossing folder and have rubbed in perfect pearls on this too to get the copper look! Some lovely vintage white glass baubles help the box to stand up on its feet!
That’s it, my birthday gift for my man, Tim style! I really hope this will make him keep his things in place …even if he keeps all of it inside THIS box, it’s mission accomplished. What I have failed to do in 20 years hope the master will succeed!
 I am eagerly waiting to hear your comments on this box with a “hidden purpose”.
I would like to enter this in the following challenges…
Stamping Sensation- one for the guys
A Vintage Journey- anything Tim
Shopping Our Stash- counting on you
City Crafter Challenge -The key to the time
Art with heart Challenge- Go Green ( have up cycled a card board box, pages from an old atlas)
Simon Monday Challenge- B is for( box,blue, baubles, brad, button,bow and the Big boy!)
Until my next creative journey,
Happy crafting and re cycling.

Big hugs.



















46 comments:

  1. Wow, gorgeous Rupa! Love your recycling, you have a knack for making beauty out of garbage! Wonderful textures and the map backgrounds are brilliant! Your hubby will love this one forever!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rupa some many details & techniques here!!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous box! Great gift for your husband. It's a wonderful piece of work, so many techniques and so much to look at, love it!

    Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always am out of words Man...Always in awe...how could one come up with these abundant crafty ideas always...Keep Rocking dear!!!

    Sure ur DH gonna treasure this forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sathya, so sweet of you. I hope he uses it...like I said, mission accomplished! Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Wow Rupa, amazing project. Your textures of a rusty box are outstanding, a great treasure box I am sure your husband will love. Thanks for joining in the challenge at A Vintage Journey and good luck.
    Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie...really happy to know you liked it.
      Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Rupa your box for your husband is wonderful!!!! So creative. Love all that stamping you did!!!! I'm am sure he is going to be blown away!! Wow! Thank you for sharing your talent at Red Rubber Inspirationals this week! I hope you will come back and play again soon. New challenge starts Thursday. Barb DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, glad you liked it all. My pleasure to a part of your challenges. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Oh, my gosh, Rupa, you are a Tim Holtz masterworker and this masculine box is phenomenal! I do hope your husband appreciates the care and love that went into making it and that the "hidden reason" for making it works for all his doodads!! Thank you for playing in the City Crafter challenge!!

    It's a pleasure to meet you and become your newest follower! I hope you'll want to visit me and join me, too!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darnell, you just brought a big smile to my face. I am glad you enjoyed this project and glad you are following me now. Hope to keep you happy here! big hugs.

      Delete
  8. It's beautiful!! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! Thanks for sharing with us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a gorgeous piece of art. Love all the details; I can see you put a lot of time, effort and attention in making this. Thanks so much for joining us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! All of the little details you put on this box are amazing! It's obvious that you took the time and effort to make this special for your husband. I hope he loves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenelle. I hope so too! Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Stunning box Rupa! Your husband is very lucky to have such a creative and caring wife ♡ Thank you for joining us at Art with Heart March challenge ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, what an amazing box! So much detail and great color choices. Thanks for joining us at Red Rubber Inspirationals!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing amount of details in your project! Thank you for joining the challenge at the Red Rubber Inspirationals! Lynda - DT Champion Red Rubber Designs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous crafting piece! You always put so much work and detail into your projects! Love it! Thank you for joining us this week at CCCB!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Samra. Thanks for looking into the details! Hugs.

      Delete
  16. What a gift of love--gorgeously handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So lovely! Thanks for sharing your work with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow Rupa, your up-cycled box is absolutely stunning! I really love all the 'rusty' bits - if this does not work as a reminder to your husband, I don't think anything will - I hope he appreciates it! Thanks so much for joining in Eileen's challenge at Art With Heart too. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it, Anne! This is my last attempt. Thanks and am glad you liked it. Hugs.

      Delete
  19. What a great repurpose for the cardboard box Rupa! love the blue and rusted edges - the stampings and fun ephemera! I hope he uses it - it will certainly look nice on his bureau! Thanks for joining us in the AVJ Everything Tim challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Julia...feels really good to hear your comments.Hugs.

      Delete
  20. Such a great altered box! Love the rich colors and and rusty effects! The map lining inside is brilliant! Thank you for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terry, glad you liked it too.Hugs.

      Delete
  21. This is a wonderful altered keepsake! You did an amazing job on the different elements. Love the textures, and the crackle! Thanks for joining us in our Go Green Challenge at Art with Heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meme, really appreciate your looking into all the fine details.

      Delete
  22. Rupa, love, love, love your altered box. The rust technique is simply amazing and all the details breathtaking. Thanks for joining us on at Art with Heart Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pammejo...glad you liked it. Hugs.

      Delete
  23. Fabulous, Rupa - a colour combination that's right up my street, and I love all the rusty effects and crackle textures - perfect for the nautical look, and beautifully done! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. It gives immense pleasure to someone when you yourself creates beautiful gifts for them. Nice creations can be made using clay and rubber products.

    ReplyDelete