A warm welcome to all of you…I am back after a much needed holiday and that too a “Dream Come True” getaway…yes, I finally made it to a 10 day European tour! Had so much fun and the highlight being the snow play in Switzerland…what a feeling!
With that heady feel and memories afresh, I share with you my today’s altered project.
I have altered a thrift store plastic pot and have given it an antique look. The colors are inspired by cool cool Swiss ambience…But no snow here eh...lol!
This is what it looks like now after the makeover.
Let’s get on with the step by step….
First of all, primed the surface with gesso and sponge, a generous e2 coats and for the second coat, I added a few drops of blue ink to the gesso. This gave the pot a lovely icy blue color and then I went about shading the edges with cornflower blue Archival ink.
The sponging gave the pot a natural coarseness and then I further added texture with TH burlap stencil and cornflower blue archival ink.
Next, I did some random text stamping using Bo Bunny stamps and potting soil Archival ink. The butterflies were also stamped with black Archival ink. Finally, I did some black color splats and edged the pot with brown and black ink give it an aged look. That’s a lot of Archival Ink on one project, and hence the title, lol!
The pot was ready for some embellishments…I decided to make my own ornate embellies for this. I used some packaging cardboard and Sizzix Fleur de Lis die to cut out 3 pieces.
I applied some air drying clay on the die cut and created an ornate texture on it using Micia stamps. Before it dried, I applied some black acrylic color and dusted in some metallic silver color.
The silver fler de lis was ready to be altered further! I aged it by rubbing Paper Artsy rusting powder with some white vinegar. I love the real rust smell that comes and within minutes the rusty crust appears on the surface.
The aged and rusted silver fleur was further embellished with a chunky white Rhinestone which was embedded inside a mini ornate oval frame! This was made using air dry clay and modge melt silicon mold. I colored it using alcohol inks and rubbed in a bit of metallic silver too!
I placed all the 3 silver embellies around the pot and there it is. I thought a silver lining on the rim of the pot would complete the look and am finally happy with the way this pot got turned around!
The cool minty colors will always remind me of the Alps and my love for Vintage and worn out stuff too got its share on this project.
I love altering home décor items and this one is no exception…this is the final look! Looks like I need to wait for some other blooming pot from the garden…but these handmade blooms don’t look bad either!
You will be seeing more such projects inspired by my holiday and as always I would love to know what you have to say about this one.
I am entering my antique pot in the following challenges…
Beyond GreyChallenges – Make your own embellishments
Mixed MediaWorld – Vintage
ArtisticInspirations – Ag with a twist of die cuts
Frillie andFunky– Happy Happy ( the outcome of my holiday, lol)
Stamps andStencils – 3 of a kind
That CraftPlace – Shabby Chic
ABCChallenge – J is for Jewels
Until my next Creative Journey,
Happy Crafting and Re Cycling.