Friday 1 May 2015

Flowers..inside out

Hello Friends…
Welcome to my page today..I am here sharing with you an altered project with a twist as usual! Hope you enjoy another long post, goes without saying.

This is DT project for Rhedd’s Creative Spirit where the theme is Anything Goes but only mixed media or altered art, NO CARDS. So go ahead, wear your thinking cap and let the creative juices flow…
Here’s what I made…I altered a smoked almond tin. I have it bright and beautiful this time!
I gave the tin a shabby distressed look. For this, first I sponged gesso all over and then when it was dry, I sponged turquoise acrylic color. I used a sponge bcos I like the natural texture that it gives. Next I rubbed a wax candle in all the areas that I wanted the distress, followed by another coat of Picket fence DP. Once dry, a light rub with a sand paper and voila the top layers just peels off wherever I have applied the wax!
Just look at the lovely distressed tin now!
I an in love with making signature tissues now, lol! I stamped the big sunflower on tissue with Archival black and colored it with DI mustard seed, peacock feathers, worn lipstick and picked raspberry. I adhered the flower with gel medium and then gave a generous coat of it all over the tin.
Some pearly dots for the center with silver pearl pen and some stamped sentiments again on a tissue…I told you, I love it so! 
I colored the metal butterfly with alcohol inks and glued in some tiny glass beads for its body.
The lower part of the tin, I wrapped a printed ribbon which had a floral print and butterfly on it, perfect match for the top! I inked the edges of the tin with picked raspberry and yes my tin is now ready…ready for what????
Have a look at the title of my post…flowers inside out! We talked about the outside…well for the inside, I have lined the tin with lovely floral PP from DCWV in complimenting colors…is that it???
Of course not, when the lid is opened, this is what comes out!
A signature hand made neck piece..ta da! Very very simple and very few things needed…shall we start.
I made the sunflower using air dry clay that you get in the hard ware store used to close up leaky pipes! Yes, you heard me right…I chose that cos it is black and solves the base coloring part for me, lol! And yes, maybe when I get wet in the rain, nothing will happen to it… Think about that!
Now, coming back to the flower…I rolled the clay into a big circle and stamped the same sunflower stamp that I used for the lid. I applied some baby cream on the stamp for easy release and pressed a bit hard. It left a lovely deep impression on the clay, and I randomly cut around the petals with a craft knife.
As the clay drying, I decided to color it using…..perfect pearls??? NO…I had a box of eye shadow for god know how long, maybe its even 15yrs old, lol! I thought it will look beautiful on this flower than on my eyes and so the makeover for the clay flower begins!
I applied the eye shadow in pink and grey and highlighted a bit with silver mica powder. For the center I squeezed out a blob of glossy accents and added some tiny glass beads. The clay was still soft and I pierced 2 holes on the top on bottom.
Once dry, I gave 2 coats of gel medium to seal the powders and to give it a light sheen too. I didn't want an ugly back and so I adhered a stamped flower with the back and sealed that too, lol!
Now to attach the jewelry findings, I chose lovely big baubles in turquoise and some pretty pink and turquoise micro meads along with some silver findings and used my amateur skills to make this piece. 
The organza chord is the finale and voila a handmade neck piece to my taste is ready!
This is how it looks around my neck, so happy with this one! I am happy, my eye shadows no longer have to wait for eternity to be used up now! 

One last look at the trio! Hope you enjoyed this post and thanks a bunch for sitting through the whole thing.
This should inspire you to play along…there is so much that can be done with things lying around the house! Really…
I would like to have my hand made neck piece along with its care taker tin to enter the following challenges…
That CraftPlace – No cards ( I love that, lol!)
A Vintage Journey- Spring Colors
Crafty Boots – Things with wings
613 AvenueCreate – AG
Decorate To celebrate - AG
Red Rubber Inspirational Ch Blog - anything with 'S' (sunflower, stamping, string,silver)
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge - may Flowers
Craft Stamper Magazine- Use a stamp
Until my next creative journey,
Happy Crafting and Re cycling,
Hugs.            


























96 comments:

  1. Rupa, it is like a treat every time I see a post from you !! amazing work my friend, love the pendent and the box...me also working with handmade cold porcelain charms, will put up today :) and did something similar with black m-seal and metallic paints !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suman...glad I can give you a treat a few times in a month, lol! Hugs.

      Delete
  2. This is so gorgeous Rupa. I just adore the colours. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of box ideas....Pretty execution...Every time visitor is assured with a visual treat dear....Amazingly awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sathya. You are so generous with your words! Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Splendid .. I loved the Neck piece :) Wow ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Rupa!! You always come up with the most amazing and creative up-cycle and recycle projects! I am always so blown away by your creativity and attention to detail!! LOVE LOVE LOVE these!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tin is gorgeous and happy to see light n pretty colors ;) I could never have guessed eyeshadows were used on the neck piece..I too have box of shades not even touched but could not make myself to throw it away..will surely try to use them for coloring !! Btw I loved the inside of box too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pooja...I am sure all our eye shadows will now be happy with the dual role, lol!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Fabulous projects and techniques!! I love how you distressed the tin! Thanks for joining us @ Red Rubber Inspirationals!
    Drea

    ReplyDelete
  8. super pretty! you did great job my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow Rupa, how amazing is that....? The box is really stunning already nd I love what you did to the butterfly, but the neck piece really did it for me, so, so clever, and what clever use of old eye shadows! I think I will have to raid my bathroom cupboard, I bet I have some tucked away somewhere....The result on the black clay is incredible and I love this whole project!! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at A Vintage Journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Astrid, thank you so much for your sweet comments. I am really happy you liked it all! Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Oh WOW Rupa this is stunning! Love the gorgeous box with all the beautiful detail and the necklace is gorgeous. I am a new follower too and looking forward to seeing more of your creations.
    Hugs
    Linda xxx
    http://lindasimpsoncraftypieceofheaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and THANKS Linda...hope to keep you inspired with my future projects too. Welcome here. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Oh wow Rupa your are so creative, wonderful project and your necklace looks stunning on. Thanks for joining in the challenge at AVJ and good luck.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A stunning project, wonderful details on the box and a beautiful necklace as well.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just love the matching necklace! your tin is beautiful, i love the coloring of the flower on top. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome project Rupa...the tin is stunning and so is your necklace,wow...everything you design amazes me,everything is so beautiful...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandra, it's always a pleasure to design for your blog. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. Just too good n classy. U r too innovative Rupa. Love it !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you have transformed that little box and thanks for sharing how you did it. The result is stunning and so pretty. Thanks for joining in at Crafty Boots Challenges this time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic as always! The flower is gorgeous! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW absolutely stunning -love the beautifully decorated tin and loved the step by step,BUT that pendant is absolutely amazing -great tip about eye shadow and beautiful butterfly-Thank you for joining us at 613 Avenue Create
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the huge flower and it so compliments your decorated box - I love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the huge flower and it so compliments your decorated box - I love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful altered little tin, I love it. Great butterfly. Fab use of your floral stamp, so many great looks. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous project! Thanks for joining in the TIMI challenge at Craft Stamper!
    xxx Ellie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW amazing projects.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful, thanks for sharing with us at Open-Minded Crafting Fun.
    Julie DT

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is lovely, thanks for sharing it with us for our challenge of Anything but Square over at Polkadoodles this time.

    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow Rupa, your altered tin is beautiful, I really love the butterfly. Your necklace and bottle charm are absolutely stunning - what a clever idea to use eyeshadow too - I am off to search and see if I can find some now! Thanks so much for joining in at A Vintage Journey this month. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne... you've really looked into all the details and am so happy you liked it all!

      Delete
  27. Gorgeous project. Thanks for joining us at Open Minded Challenges this fortnight for our "Shabby Chic" Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous projects! I love how you colored the flower on the tin with alcohol inks. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rupa your projects are just wonderful! Your mixed media projects always amaze me!! Thank you for paying this week at Red Rubber Inspirationals. Barb DT

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! This project is absolutely AMAZING! I adore the beautiful colors, the fabulous flower image you used, and your artistry! Thanks for joining us at Red Rubber Inspirationals! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful project! Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge .... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous projects! Love the box!
    Thank you for joining us at Decorate to Celebrate!
    Lilian
    http://theleafstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. A sunning achievement. Amazing amount of work involved. Thanks for sharing your creation at Fantasy Stampers. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  34. A sunning achievement. Amazing amount of work involved. Thanks for sharing your creation at Fantasy Stampers. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  35. Eye Catching beauty the flower is simply fab. Thanks for joining in on the fun over at Open-Minded Crafting Fun. We look forward to seeing you again.
    Hugs    
    Berni,DT
    open-mindedcraftingfun.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Simply gorgeous! The flower you stamped on tissue is stunning. Love the vibrant colors. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow this is stunning hun. Thank you so much for joining us at Polkadoodles Challenge.
    http://polkadoodle.blogspot.co.uk/
    Naz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awesome project! Thank you for joining the Red Rubber Inspirationals this week! Lynda - DT Champion Red Rubber Designs

    ReplyDelete
  39. waow...rupa this ones awesome a neatly done box and to top it all a neck piece....fabulous work done gal

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wowwwwwwwwww! No words!!! It's great and unique!!! Congrats! Thanks for joining us at Open-Minded challenge. Ana Isabel DT

    ReplyDelete
  41. very pretty thank you for joining challenge at dtc. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love the tin and your necklace! I have such tins bought on clearance and although I had some ideas for them (one is even a lovely lilac color already!), I haven't attempted anything so far. That might be about to change :) I also love tissue paper for its translucency. I buy pre-printed tissue paper (especially the french text ones!) but I will try stamping some designs myself this time. May I ask if you stamped the words on diff small pieces and adhered them to the top of the tin? I like that it blends into the background, that's what I love about tissue paper or vellum etc. Thanks for all the inspiration as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear for taking the time to be here. I wish you start working on your tins soon! Would love to see them Yes, the quotes are stamped on small pieces of tissue and adhered. I too love the fact that the tissue takes on to the back ground beautifully and blends with it. Hug.

      Delete
  43. WOW! beautiful projects. Thank you for joining us over Decorate to Celebrate.
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love your projects!! I always end up bookmarking your posts so that I may one day give one of them a go! Great work! Thank you for joining us at Open-Minded Crafting Fun!
    Myndi, DT xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooooo much Myndi...this is so encouraging! I really hope you get to work on these! Glad you are following me now, hugs dear.

      Delete
  45. Gorgeous altered tin! Love all the yummy details and textures! Love the other projects as well! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful and very inspirational. might just have to see what old eyeshadows I have lying around and see what can be done with them. You Tin is stunning as well, and I have never heard of this Tissue technique before I will have to look into it if this is the result. Thank you for joining us over at Open-Minded Crafting for our 'Shabby Chic Challenge'.
    Sammi xxx
    (AngelicBadGirl) DT-OMC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! That's so nice of you Sammi...Thank you so much for your kind words. Hugs.

      Delete
  47. this is wonderful. Thanks for playing the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge with us!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love the tin!! So pretty!!! I love that flower stamp!! Thank you for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Totally INCREDIBLE Rupa. YOU are just sooooooooooooooooooooo talented. All these creations are just better than AMAZING. You are such an inspiration. j.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Totally INCREDIBLE Rupa. YOU are just sooooooooooooooooooooo talented. All these creations are just better than AMAZING. You are such an inspiration. j.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow. what a fabulous post! The altered pot is amazing, and I just love the wearable artwork! Sorry I've not been around much lately - too much going on. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete